Friday 18 January 2013

Gooseberry Jam

Today I made this gorgeous Gooseberry Jam. It looked so marvelous in the jars that I just had to share it with you. I am always amazed at the lovely pink colour that comes out of all those little green beauties. 
I followed the tried and true formula of equal parts of fruit and sugar. This is 1 kg of raw topped and tailed gooseberries: cooked until they breakup, and 1 kg of sugar: dissolved in the fruit and boiled until it sets. 
I checked the setting by using a sweet thermometer to check that the jam reaches 106 deg. C, and by putting a teaspoon of jam on a plate and into the freezer: if a skin forms on the top then the jam is ready. Put the hot jam into sterilized jars, lids on, and your a domestic goddess already.
This is the smaller batch of raspberry jam I made earlier in the week. We have really enjoyed some great raspberry picking this season. All I need now is a few days of sun for the strawberries to ripen, and my season's jam making will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment