Saturday 13 June 2015

My breakfast - homemade muesli

Of late I've been cutting down on the sugar in my diet. I've given up all lollies, and I only have cake every now and then, and only if it's really good cake! Anyway, I've been finding that my two pieces of toast with peanut butter for breakfast have been wearing out by 10am. Finding all the store brought cereals either way too sweet, or textured like cardboard inspired me to try some homemade cereal for breakfast. 

There are many great things about making your own muesli: you can control exactly what goes into it, and thus boost the proportion of tasty seeds, nuts and fruit; you can add less sugar; it costs way less than buying at the supermarket. This recipe is from my lovely friend and colleague Rebecca, and is published in the Lyttelton fundraising book: Harbour Kitchen. You can swap and change any of the nuts and seeds to suits your tastes - here is my version: 

Muesli

3 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup sunflower seeds
half a cup pumpkin seeds
half a cup coconut threads
2 tablespoons black chia seeds
1 cup dried fruit - I used a mixture of apricots and cranberries
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat the oven to 160deg. C.

Place all the ingredients except the fruit and honey into a large roasting dish and stir. 











Place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, checking and stirring every 10 or so minutes. 

Keep a good eye on the muesli, as the nuts and coconut will easily burn. 






Remove from the oven and add the warmed honey. Stir until well combined, then add the chopped dried fruit. Allow the muesli to cool before putting into an airtight container to store.







Happy breakfasting my friends xx

No comments:

Post a Comment