Sunday 21 October 2012

On-Trend Floral Pants

Do you like my new pants?

The end of the school year is nearly upon us, and inspired by all the lovely things my Textile students have created, I thought it was about time to make time for some fashion of my own.

This is me loitering in one of my favourite local department stores, Ballantynes, making use of one of their large mirrors.

I wasn't sure how the floral fabric would look made into pants, given that busy patterns are not normally the friend of wider areas of my figure! But the fabric wasn't expensive, so I thought I'd give them a go.


Here's the pattern I used:







 I customised the pattern with a little current trend inspired ruffle and split on the leg.

Using an invisible zip instead of a normal lapped fly sped up the garment's construction by taking most of the more time consuming techniques out.







The ruffle is a simple strip of fabric sewn into a tube; then the seam is positioned through the middle of the strip and the top sew across. Turn the tube right-way-out, turn the raw edges of the open end to the inside and top stitch closed.

Run a gathering stitch through the centre, then top stitch to the garment.





 
I am wearing my new pants with a Charmaine Reveley silk sequined top and leather tie-up belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment