Tuesday 4 February 2014

Pizza Night at the Farm


The whirlwind that is the first few days at school has sucked me into the vortex and I feel like I've only just made landfall. This post was actually from two weekends ago when we visited the farm. It was weaning time, so long hours are standard, as the sheep get drafted and drenched before being put onto a new paddock of feed. With everyone busy and not much inspiration for dinner, I decided to do a pizza night. Little Miss nearly 5 was keen to help me with the cooking, so pizza was a do-able small helper option. 


 A detailed tutorial is in this previous Pizza Post. This recipe makes about six medium sized pizzas and uses whatever toppings you happen to have in the cupboard.


Quick and Easy Pizza

500g strong flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon instant dried yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil

Combine all ingredients. Knead until springy. Leave in a warm place to rise in an oiled bowl while you make the toppings.

I used home made tomato sauce and chutneys, bacon, grated cheese, red spring onions, cavalo nero kale, basil leaves, salami, cherry tomatoes and sliced potato. Preheat the oven to 220deg. C and line up some oven trays. If I have time I preheat the tray before putting the pizza on.

Push down the dough and break off a handful at a time. Roll it out thinly onto a floured board or bench. It doesn't have to be a perfect shape.








I decorated pizza, five to go. They were eating them faster than I could make them. 

Bake the pizza's for about 15 minutes until golden and crispy.



Mum's super basil patch.




A simple pizza dinner with the family after a hard days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment