Thursday 29 August 2013

Back from my blog holiday with Pineapple Passionfruit Polenta Cake

I can't believe its been nearly two weeks since I wrote a blog post. The computers been in and out of the repair shop, the Internet connection went on the blink, all the programmes have been painstakingly reloaded and I'm finally back. I have to admit that after two weeks I felt a pang of regret putting my knitting down in favour of loading all the project photos I have accumulated in the past 10 days. So please forgive me, as its going to take I few days to catchup. 

I have made this cake a couple of times. It's gluten free and easily adaptable to whatever fruit you have handy. We took this one over to a friends as part of a casual Friday night tea. In this one I used the course polenta, which gives quite a lot of bite. If you want a smoother finish I suggest using the finely ground variety.

Pineapple and Passionfruit Polenta Cake

180g butter
225g caster sugar
3 eggs
zest of a lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons baking soda
250g polenta
a small can of pineapple pieces
3 tablespoons passionfruit pulp

Preheat the oven to 170deg. C and line a baking dish with baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well in between each addition. 









Fold in the vanilla and zest, followed by the polenta and baking powder. Lastly fold in the passionfruit and pineapple pieces.









Place the mixture in a lined baking tin. On this occasion I was in a bit of a hurry, so used a wide tin so the cake would cook more quickly. 
Smooth over the top and bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes until the cake is golden brown and risen. 





This cake is excellent served warm from the oven.
If your feeling virtuous serve it with natural yoghurt, otherwise whipped cream is also excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment